Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Padded Room for One, please?

I am so nervous about the kids going on their first overnight visit with their dad. Maybe they will be fine. Maybe it is only causing me all this anxiety. Maybe they will totally have a meltdown and need to come home. A million things could happen (but hopefully nothing bad).

How did you handle the first overnight visit with dad? Were you as nervous as I am?

I think that my fear stems from knowing who B is. I know his temper, his lack of patience, his lack of attention. I know that he works on Saturdays and is normally sleeping by 8:00 pm (because he gets up at 4:00 am). I know that he is picking up the kids right after work, I know they will not nap at his house but they might fall asleep in the car. I know that if they get to sleep in the car, they will not go to bed until 10:00 pm or later (which is being generous...I would guess it is going to be closer to midnight). I know C and M DO NOT sleep well when they are anywhere but home (and that is a stretch because they don't always sleep well at home either). I know that B will be tired and wanting to go to sleep.

The after (after B is tired, etc) is what I am worried about. I just do not trust him. He has not had to deal with small kids, overstimulated and overly tired, in a looooooong time.

So, give me some advice. What can I do to keep myself out of the nuthouse thinking about this? How did you get through it?

1 comment:

Single Working Mommy said...

Hey, thanks for stopping over at my blog.

I have no advice for you, though. Sorry. And that sucks. I have had similiar worries though, and I worried for nothing.

Their dad cares for the kids right--he would never do anything to hurt them? Or knowingly put them in harm's way? That's what helped me, sort of, knowing that SD would never, ever let anything bad happen to his Son.