Sunday, May 25, 2008

A light at the end of the tunnel?

So I just talked to B and it was actually a normal, friendly conversation. He is moving...again.

Here's the story: He called me asked me for a favor. I said he could ask but no guarantees. Well, he wanted $$. I told him I did not have any, I have been out of work and sorry I could not help him. I know some people will say it was dumb to even consider giving him money. In my own defense, I was looking out for my kids. They have been through enough and B moving again would just be upsetting for them. Maybe he would have been kicked out eventually anyways and my money would be down the drain but at least I would not walk around with the guilt of knowing that I didn't even try to help.

After much thought, I decided that pointing him the right direction (resources that could actually give him money and actually have it). He called around, found an organization that he thought was going to help but ended up not being able to as he makes too much money.

He has a friend that he went to high school with that has some rental properties and is letting them rent one. He packed up all his stuff last night and is all ready to move to the new place,

He called today to talk to the kids. After they are done talking, we always spend a few minutes catching up on stuff (i.e. any problems with the kids, visitation schedule, new activities I signed them up for). I asked if he got everything figured out and he told me the above story. I didn't have any little nuggets of wisdom for him but did tell him to make sure he didn't screw his friend over n rent and not to burn anymore bridges.

Then we got on the topic of child support, where he was at on paying off his arrears, how my new job was going, etc. and then came the light at the end of the tunnel...

He said he wants to cancel court on the 18th. He said he does not want to go to court anymore, he doesn't want to fight anymore and he thinks he is ready to handle the sitation with the kids just between the two of us. He also said he realizes how it will look to go into court after just getting evicted for the 2nd time in 4 months.

So, what a relief for me. I think the turning point for him was the kids' last visitation. B was by himself when he picked them up but had Crazy and Crazy Jr with him when he dropped them off. The kids just are not real excited about spending time with anyone but Dad. So, as soon as I pulled up and the kids saw me, they screamed, ran to me and almost knocked me down. I think he finally saw how much they dislike spending time with all these other people that B wants them to see. And if they have the choice between seeing dad and all these other people or staying (going) home, they would rather me at home.

On a lighter note, we went to my cousin's wedding yesterday. It was a lot of fun and it was great seeing everyone. We got to see my dad (who we have not seen since Easter), my stepmom, all my sisters and almost all my cousins. The kids were having a blast when the djay started playing. They were out there dancing like crazy. They danced with their cousins and mom and grandma and their aunts. M only had one accident and I will take the blame for it. I was doing really good on bringing her to the bathroom but got tied up talking to family. Next thing I know, she was peeing on the dance floor. Thankfully, she only peed on her underwear and her shorts magically had none on them. I took her undies off, wrapped them in a chunk of paper towels, threw them in my brand new Dolce & Gabanna purse (yikes), put her shorts back on and she was ready to tear up the dance floor again.

C ended up going home with his cousins but M wasn't having anything to do with that. She was tired and she wanted to go HOME...no where else. So, unfortunately, I was one of the first ones to leave but it was still alot of fun. When we got home, M had a glass of juice and a snack and she was crashed out on the couch.

Tonight, my nephew is over and tomorrow we are going to the parade.

All in all, a pretty good weekend so far....

No comments: