To Me!!
It's a monumental day...for me and our country. Regardless of who wins the election today, our lives will be forever changed. As individuals and as a nation.
I am celebrating my 30th birthday today. Of all my birthdays, this one has the most meaning to me. It comes at a time where I need to celebrate my own life. It marks the end for me. Of a journey through self-punishment. Of days filled with anger and pain and self-doubt. This will be the day where I leave behind the old and embrace the new.
I have ridden the waves of an emotional rollercoaster for months, for years. In 30 years, there are still skeletons in the closet, marriages and divorces, family secrets and betrayal. There has been emotional pain like no other. There has been physical pain that should never have happened. There are hook ups and break ups. There are mistakes that seem foolish and mistakes that seem not so bad.
The eve of such a monumental day brought forth so many emotions and last night was rough. I have watched the decline of our economy for months. I have watched the decline of my physical and emotional state decline for months. I have watched my children decline for months. I have watched the hurt and pain and confusion in others' eyes.
I knew when I woke this morning that there had to be a change. I was born on a day that grants me the gift of making MY personal change along side our nation. I voted for the very first time on my 18th birthday. Knowing what this morning would bring caused the wall to break. The lingering doubts and feelings NEEDED to go. The uncertainty of tomorrow was exactly what I needed to let it go. It was ugly and sad (and made my eyes puffy for my freakin' birthday) but I feel cleansed and prepared.
There is only one path to take and that is forward.
I will be proud and strong. I will not regret the things that I cannot change. I will let go of my need to be perfect. I will be proud of myself 30 years from now, just as I am proud of myself today.
I associate with music. Music touches my soul in way that words never can. On this, the day I was born, 30 years ago, these are my lyrics today:
Staind-So Far Away
And now that we're here, So far away
All the struggle we thought was in vain
And all the mistakes,One life contained
They all finally start to go away
And now that we're here its so far away
And I feel like I can face the day
I can forgive, and I’m not ashamed to be the person that I am today
Candlebox-Far Behind
Now maybe
I didn't mean to treat you bad
But I did it anyway
And then maybe
Some would say your life was sad
But you lived it anyway
Michael Jackson-Man in the Mirror
I've Been A Victim Of
A Selfish Kind Of Love
It's Time That I Realize
That There Are Some With
No Home, Not A Nickel To Loan
Could It Be Really Me,
Pretending That They're Not Alone?
Vince Gill-I Still Believe in You
Somewhere along the way,
I guess I just lost track
Only thinkin' of myself never lookin' back
For all the times I've hurt you, I apologize
I'm sorry it took so long to finally realize
Creed-With Arms Wide Open
If I had just one wish
Only one demand
I hope he's not like me
I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
That he can greet the world
With arms wide open
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Happy happy birthday!!!
Happy Day!!! Hope it's a great one...welcome to the 30s!!!!!
Happy birthday! I'm only two years behind you. My birthday was last week, but I forgot to mention it on my blog. Haha.
Happiest of birthday wishes to you, my dear friend.
You don't know how happy I am to hear your will and resolve to live in the here and now and confront today head on and to believe in and manifest better days for you and your kids.
Beautiful post. What a special day of change you share with our nation and the world, really. An amazing day in history.
Luv ya
That Candlebox song is one of my all-time favorites-and I love music, so I have a lot of favorites. Happy, happy birthday, you dear girls-and since in SO many ways our lives are freakishly and disturbingly similar, I can tell you that 30 is the beginning; I love my thirties, even despite things happening that I would not have chosen. May yours be as wonderfully full and rich as mine have been, and more.
Happy birthday you little Scorpio girl! I was watching "Finding Nemo" the other day with LB, and suddenly the "Its time to let go" scene meant so much more.
Sometimes its so freaking hard, but you sound like you got a handle on it. I've seen the pain you've been feeling on your blog, and this entry made me happy for you.
happt belated birthday :) Sorry I'm a little late! I hope it was an amazing wonderful day!
Happy belated! I hope the day was great and things are continuing to go as best as they can.
Post a Comment